Excel Data Provider
If you are using MS Excel database with Visular for creating your dashboards, first of all you need to pull the data into the solution through your database file, so that queries may be built with the help of it. The procedure for adding a new MS Excel database into the Visular data repository is as follows:
- Launch the form by clicking upon the ‘ADD NEW’ button.
- Enter any alpha numeric name, for example “Data01” or “Example_2014_Data”.
- Use the ‘Select files’ button to upload the required data file within the application.
- Next field is “First row has column names”:
- If you check this option, names of the database column within the Query Builder will be identical to the names of columns pertaining to the uploaded Excel file name.
- If you don’t check leave this option unchecked, column names within the Query Builder will appear as Column 01, Column 02, and so on.
- Save to proceed.
Note: Only one Excel file can be selected to upload the data at a time. If you have already uploaded an Excel file, and afterwards select a different file for upload, the previously uploaded file will get updated automatically.
Excel Data Preview
Within the Data Provider section, you can now have a quick preview of your Excel databases by clicking upon the Data Preview button.
Excel data rows to skip
In case you need to skip a certain number of initial rows from within an Excel Database to be skipped while data visualization to be carried out in a chart, you may configure the same in the Data Provider section.
Inserting MS Excel Data to MS SQL Database
If you want to overcome the limitations of an MS Excel database, you may also insert the data of a locally stored or server hosted MS Excel file into a yet another MS SQL database right from within Visualr, using the ‘Insert to Database’ feature.
In case the file is hosted online, you may locate the file from server location and synchronization will take place after a time interval time of 1 minute.