Flat File Data Provider(Last Updated On: September 18, 2017)
If you are using a Flat File database with Visular for creating your dashboards, first of all you need to pull the data into the solution through your database file, so that queries may be built with the help of it. The procedure for adding a new Flat File database into the Visular data repository is as follows:
- Launch the form by clicking upon the ‘ADD NEW’ button.
- Enter any alpha numeric name, for example “Data01” or “Example_2014_Data”.
- Use the ‘Select files’ button to upload the required data file in the application.
- The checkbox titled “First row has column names” leaves you with two options:
- If you check this box, names of the columns within the Query Builder will be similar to the column names inside the uploaded file.
- If you leave it unchecked, the column names will appear as Column 01, Column 02, and so on.
- Select the delimiter that has been used to segregate data types inside the file that is going to be uploaded. The system picks comma (,) delimiter by default, though other options available are Tab ( ), Pipe (|), Colon (:) and Semicolon (;).
- Choose the appropriate Batch Size to enable smoother operations while the data is being inserted into the application database. If the file size is too large, selecting a higher Batch Size will ensure that the data is processed at a faster pace.
- Save to proceed.
Note: Only one file can be selected for uploading the data at a time. If you have already uploaded a flat data file and are trying to again upload a yet another one, the previously uploaded file will get updated automatically.
Flat File data preview
Within the Data Provider section, you can now have a quick preview of your Flat File databases by clicking upon the ‘View Data’ button. You get the Flat File data view as follows.
Flat File data view