(Last Updated On: June 11, 2021)
Index: What’s covered in the article?
Technological advancement has made this world more modish than ever before. When we look back, those things and opportunities that might seem impossible are now possible by the fruitful attribute of technology. But ever thought what were the precursor of these technological devices that have made this world a better place to live? This device is named the computer. The computer can be defined as an electrical gadget or device that processes and stores data typically in the binary system. It was first introduced by Charles Babbage in 1882 to perform a simple calculation of two-digit numbers. But later on EANIC, the first digital computer was introduced to perform multiple tasks that the early computer cannot perform. We have compiled the best information about Linux command to list all users in the article. We suggest you have a look at them.
Computer systems have revolutionized the entire world. Firstly, it was made to do simple and complex calculations, but later on, the world gets summed up in this device. The computer has achieved a milestone in the history of technological development and is the most successful electrical device that is ever born. Computer assists us in many ways and has become a huge part of our life. Its extensions are also made like that of notebook computers, laptops, tablets, and smartphones, and without them, our life seems impossible and without such devices we will feel like that we are living in a stone age.
When we talk about some attributes of a computer system, it has hundreds and thousands of features that cannot be summed up in a single stage. It aids us wherever we are and whomever we are. Whether we are office workers, restaurant workers, health care providers, or simple housewives, the computer is playing a very crucial part in our lives. From making large and huge documents to making an attractive presentation for education or office purposes, from auditing long reports to maintaining and storing large data and information, the computer is aiding us in millions of different ways.
Consider an example of trading. In early times trading is considered a complex career or job. Due to long audit reports and difficult means of communication and transport, many different individuals or even countries which were lacking resource and were underdeveloped refused to adopt it and only utilizes what it makes. But by the advent of a computer system, communication, means of data storing and saving, managing records and auditing long reports gets improvised and people start getting attracted to this profession too.
The computer system operates with the assistance of hardware and software. Hardware is any physical device that can be sensed by the human touch. Hardware includes physically seen and used parts of the computer like monitor, keyboard, mouse, printer, scanner, speakers and joystick, etc., and some inner part of the computer system like motherboard, storage cards, micro-chips, graphic and sound card, RAM, ROM, etc. Now if we talk about the software, then the software is a set of instruction or command that is given to hardware device to work according to the instructions given by the users. Software programs include word processors like Microsoft office word and pages, internet browsers like google chrome, graphic programs, and audio and video player, etc.,
Besides these two major parts, there is a third party that manages and coordinates different software programs and hardware devices, this system is termed an operating system. An operating system is system software that allows a hardware device to run efficiently while managing and coordinating software programs with such devices. Many different operating systems are running with pace globally like macOS, IOS, Microsoft Windows, Linux, Solaris, and Google’s Android OS. Among these the most popular operating system that is being used by professionals and software programmers is Linux. Linux has provided multiple attributes for software programmers and is widely used all over the world. Sounds interesting? Come let’s discuss it in more detail.
Linux is an open-source operating system. Here the open-source represents that Linux is free of cost and you can easily download and install it on your device. Linux is an efficient system and is a choice to adopt if you are a programmer or works in the software domain. Linux like other efficient and extraordinary operating systems never fails to surprise its users. It meets all the modern and refurbish demands of the users and allows the users to experience better and finer working than ever before. Linux successfully manages all the resources between the hardware and the software programs of the computer system and allows your computer to with pace, momentum, and more productively.
Linux is an extension of the UNIX operating system. UNIX OS was designed mainly to run different programming languages effectively and was a successful service too. But when Linux was introduced, it led the UNIX OS and was more successful than its precursor UNIX. The main reason for the triumph of Linux was its advanced attributes and its versatility. Linux was made with multiple advanced freatures than the UNIX OS and was able to run over several electrical gadgets like notebook computers, laptops, tablets, and smartphones, etc., while UNIX was basically designed to run over desktop computers. Moreover, the Linux OS can support internet services and larger applications, while UNIX fails to provide such services to its users. Linux is provided with multiple tools and the Linux kernel that allows you to run your Linux OS more efficiently. Linux OS is symbolized by a penguin character named Tux.
To build an operating system like Linux scientists and technologist have collected several parts, so according to them the Linux OS consists of the following different pieces:
- Init system
- Graphical server
- Desktop environment
Bootloader: This is software that manages the boot performance or process of your computer. It is a simple splash screen that appears a then eventually disappears to boot the device Operating system.
Init system: when booting of the computer system takes place, the first step is initialization which is called as Init system. It runs with the pace until the system is switched off or shutdowns. It is considered as the direct or indirect precursor of the processes of the operating system.
Kernel: it is considered as the core of the whole Linux OS. The kernel is installed and is made a part of Linux OS to control all the peripheries, store data, manage memory and storage and supervise the central processing unit (CPU) of your computer system.
Daemons: this is the background assistance like printing, managing audio, and video, and scheduling, etc., they start running whenever you boot your system or you logged in to your computer device.
Graphical server: graphics that are being displayed on your monitor or your display is due to the graphical server. It is a sub-system and is generally considered as the X server or simply X.
Desktop environment: this is the environment users generally interact with. There are multiple desktop environments like that of GENOME, mate, python, cinnamon, Enlightenment, KDE, etc., each desktop environment is provided with some built-in or pre-installed applications like calendar, clock, file manager, web browsers, and sometimes they are assisted with some games too.
Applications: the applications that are provided with the desktop environment are not enough. The major reason behind this is that there are millions of users and everyone has their own demand and needs. Every individual operates and functions computer differently. So, to meet such demands Linux has built an app store by which users can buy and can have hundreds and thousands of free applications within no time.
Linux is an operating system like that of windows and macOS, but what makes it more special is that nowadays, Linux is not just running an OS, but is also used to run platforms like desktops, servers, and embedded systems. Linux provides various advantages over many ordinary operating systems and they are listed as:
- Easy to use: Despite being used at a professional level; Linux is easy to operate and run. If you are new to use Linux, so you don’t need to worry as you will be able to learn and run Linux in a very short period of time, because of the easement it provides.
- Flexibility and stability: Linux is a flexible and stable operating system. you don’t need to reboot its function for better and finer performance as it barely slows down or hangs up. Moreover, its flexibility attribute signifies that it can be used for several purposes to run many platforms like servers, etc.
- Security: The security attribute of the Linux OS is out of the box. It provides users a better and safer environment than any other operating system, that will protect and assure user’s data and information.
- Best for software domain workers: If you are the one who works in a software designing domain or is a professional software developer that wants a steady and fast operating system, that will allow you to work efficiently and with more pace than Linux is of choice. Linux supports multiple programming languages like C language, java, python, and ruby, etc., at a single stage. This attribute allows users to experience better and progressed working.
- Listing users and groups: With the assistance of Linux, you can easily list the number of users and groups. Sound’s great? Come let’s discuss in more detail that how Linux helps us to list users and groups.
When you are working as an administrator body or system, that needs to make a record of the host users and groups then you need to process the command listing of users and groups on Linux. The main purpose of listing is to manage records and secure safety. You need to have a list of users, so when the time comes you can eliminate or add other users as well.
The most effective way for listing host users and groups is to use the getent command which is generally originated by the UNIX OS. Being a family member of the UNIX OS, Linux is also equipped with this command that is based on the Name service switch, this facility defines the custom databases of your connected host computers.
If you are a beginner and have no idea how to use command list, or you are the one who is not known by the fact that Linux provides commands that allows you to list host user and groups, then this article will provide your assistance in listing all the users. These commands are listed as under:
- For listing purposes in Linux, you need to start or execute the “cat” command on the “/etc./passwd file. by this command you will be able to see the current list of users that are being registered to your administrator computer or system. for navigating the username list, you can use “less” or “more” command, within the user list.
- Another way of listing host users and groups is to use the “cut” or “awk” command along with the piped “cat” command.
- One more technique of listing users is to use the getent command as discussed above. This is the simplest way of listing host users. simply use the “getent” command along with the “passwd” argument. By this method, you can also specify an optional user too.
- If you are the one using the gatent command to list the host users, then one thing that you must keep in mind is that the getent command will not allow you to see through the whole list of the user. For that purpose, you need to go through the “$who” command.
- Another alternate of using the “$who” command is the “$user” command which will give out the same results but with minor details.
Linux is a self-upgradable system software or operating system that is more than just an ordinary operating system. It provides you several attributes that will assist you in many different ways. Let’s just consider the example of listing users. listing users is an attribute of Linux that differentiates it from other ordinary OS. If you are the one, who is finding a solution to use the commands of Linux to list the users then this article will surely assist you.
Recommended Readings (visualrsoftware)