Index: what’s included in the article?
- What is a runtime environment?
- How does a runtime environment work?
- What are the advantages of a runtime environment?
- Examples of runtime environments
- What is Microsoft .NET Framework
- Net Runtime Optimization Service
- Fix 1: Process Optimization
- Fix 2: Use of antivirus
- Fix 3: Service Restarting
- Final Verdict
Every day we use a variety of programs that have various functions. As time goes by the leaps and bounds of the technological tools we use, we now expect all of this software to work almost perfectly. However, for developers, it is not so obvious, as the most used operating systems differ significantly from each other, not to mention the differences between the various versions. Theoretically, it would be necessary to adapt each program to each version for Windows, macOS, and Linux. To work around this problem, developers use runtime environments.
Mscorsvw.exe (or.Net Runtime Optimization Service) is a Windows component. It is used to optimize the startup of some apps and thus make them faster. Plenty of software developers choose to write apps using the .NET Framework provided by Microsoft. Therefore, if this process runs on your computer, you are probably using apps built with the .NET Framework. The latter is regularly optimized and updated by Microsoft using the .NET Runtime Optimization Service process.
Sometimes this optimization takes too long and consumes a high CPU resource percentage each time it runs. Often, high CPU utilization from this process is observed for several days. There are multiple solutions to figure out this problem. Therefore, continue reading below to get best understanding and solutions for net runtime optimization problems. We have compiled the best information about net runtime optimization service in the article. We prefer to take a look.
Runtime environments are also called RTE(from the abbreviation of the English term \”Runtime Environment\”). Not to be confused with execution environments or development environments, runtime environments perform an essential function.
I want to explain it in a way that is understandable to most of the persons. The Runtime environments act as small operating systems that provide all the features a program needs for correct execution. These also include the interfaces of physical elements of hardware or user interactions and software components.
A runtime environment loads all the applications of a program and runs them on a platform. On this platform, all the resources necessary for the program\’s execution are made available regardless of the operating system. For example, audio and video web content playback is only possible if you have the necessary runtime environment, such as Adobe Flash Player. With this plug-in, which also functions as a runtime of Internet applications, you can always play flash content from the web with the same quality. In the same way, regardless of the operating system and browser, you are using.
Through the runtime system, a running application interacts with the runtime environment. This environment serves as an intermediary between the program and the operating system. As soon as a program runs, it communicates with the computer\’s processor and RAM, indicating the system resources it needs. The runtime environment includes hardware, memory, environment variables, user interactions, and software components.
A runtime environment provides several basic functions for memory, networks, and hardware. The runtime environment performs these functions rather than by the program, independently of the operating system. These functions include reading and writing files, managing input and output units, searching, classifying, managing files, or transporting data over networks.
The individual modules of a runtime environment are stored in so-called runtime libraries, which can be recognized by the extension .dll (dynamic link library) on Windows, and .so (shared object) on UNIX.
Even simple users use runtime environments, as these allow programs to have all the functionality necessary to function regardless of the operating system in use. Furthermore, the programs have an identical user interface on Windows, macOS, and Linux versions.
Instead, developers use them to test the execution of the applications they are working on. In the event of an error, the runtime environments notify the reason for the crash or failure. Even the Framework is part of runtime environments. These IT structures simplify software development and provide runtime environments with which to execute the applications created.
As already mentioned, runtime environments make it possible for programs to function on different platforms. It simplifies development, as the program does not need to be modified and adapted for each operating system and its versions. In programs running through a runtime environment, users can take advantage of all its functions simultaneously on all platforms, using the same, identical user interface.
A further advantage is the saving of resources. Similar programs can use the same runtime environment, sharing system components.
One of the best-known and most used runtime examples is JAVA. The execution of Java programs requires the use of the appropriate runtime environment: JAVA Runtime Environment. It allows JAVA programs to be executable on any operating system, remaining almost completely independent. Since JAVA is a software platform, the JAVA runtime environment is also called the \”JAVA platform\”. It consists of a programming interface, also called API, a virtual machine, and program libraries. In addition, the JAVA programming language is integrated into the API.
Other common examples of runtime environments are:
ActionScript Application (ASAP): Offers components to FLASH developers.
Blueprint: The CSS framework takes into account browser compatibility deficits and eases CSS optimization. Blueprint is also available as a core theme of CMS like Drupal and WordPress.
Common Language Runtime: A virtual runtime environment for .NET applications that interprets the Common Intermediate Language Code.
Crystal Space: Free includes a 3D engine and is used to develop video games and other 3D reproductions.
Cygwin: a runtime environment for Linux applications that allows you to run them on Windows, macOS, and other operating systems.
Visual Basic Runtime: required for many shareware and freeware programs.
WINE: with this runtime environment, Windows applications can also run on other operating systems such as Linux, FreeBSD, or macOS. However, compatibility is not fully guaranteed.
XULRunner: A runtime environment for XUL applications such as Firefox, Thunderbird, or Songbird, although these programs work even without. In the future, the runtime environment usage will be more and more to guarantee resource savings.
.NET Framework: Windows .NET applications can only run with the Microsoft framework.
Like all libraries of API and already compiled code, the Microsoft Framework is nothing more than a hybrid between a working structure and a so-called \”Runtime Environment \”.
Initially, developers were using The Framework to run programs on very different hardware, but it soon became exclusive to this operating system given the almost exclusive use adopted on Windows. We use these codes for our common functions such as \”Save as\”, or \”Open recent\” and many other functions, ranging from interaction with windows to graphic effects, up to the deeper scripts. The deeper scripts are used to save certain information in specific ram sectors or other advanced functions.
Given the nature of \”code already made\”, a program developed on the .NET framework cannot work if the reference Framework is not present on the machine where it is executed.
The best answer is that a process should recompile its libraries and only when the computer is idle. Microsoft also states that the process takes no more than a few minutes. However, this is not the case. In some cases, users have reported that the NET Runtime Optimization Service can heavily load the processor for even more than a week. Here are some reasons:
- If the process has been running for a long time, you can try to speed it up by running certain commands.
- The computer contains malware that disguised itself as the service or infected by any executable files. For a solution, you need to scan your computer for viruses and malicious code.
- The service is corrupted or fails to boot, try restarting it.
In general, it is not recommended to complete this process right away, as it is needed to update libraries and the way applications and games run. There are various ways to speed it up, from running simple commands to executing more complex scripts. They will allow the process to use more processor cores, thereby shutting down faster.
- Right-click on the Start button to bring up the context menu and find the \”Command Line\” item. Alternatively, type this name in the search bar, right-click on the first result and select the \”Run as administrator\” option.
- Copy the specified commands in turn and click on Enter after pasting each. Between the first two commands, execute one of them according to the operating system (the first for the 32-bit version of the OS, the second for the 64-bit version):
For 32-Bit system:
cd c: \\ Windows \\ Microsoft.NET \\ Framework \\ v4.X (X=your ,net framework version)
For 64-Bit system:
cd c: \\ Windows \\ Microsoft.NET \\ Framework64 \\ v4.X (X= your .net framework version)
- Check to see if the processor load from the NET Runtime Optimization Service has decreased.
Alternatively, you can use the official Microsoft script that does the same.
- Search for \”drainngenqueuewsf\” and go to GitHub to open the script page.
- Right-click at the beginning of the code on the \”Raw\” button and select \”Save Link As …\” making sure the file extension is Windows Script File (* .wsf).
- Please find the file in the location on the disk where you saved it and run it. If you are faced with the choice of a program to download, select Windows Script Host.
- Then check the percentage of CPU load in the Task Manager.
Virus contamination is one of the leading causes of high load on the NET Runtime Optimization service. In addition, malicious programs attempting to take over processor resources can disguise their processes as this service.
To do this, scan your computer with the Malware or antivirus utility, which shows the results due to its extensive database.
- Open your antivirus and select the scan option from the main screen of the app.
- The tool will likely start updating its virus database and then continue scanning. If malware is found, confirm removal or quarantine.
- Restart your computer after the scan is complete and check how much the .NET Runtime Optimization Service uses the processor.
To resolve high CPU usage, try restarting the service. After the NET Runtime, the Optimization Service should complete faster if the high CPU consumption is due to a crash during startup.
- Display the Run dialog box with the Windows key + R key combination. Type the command devmgmt. MSC and confirm its execution by pressing Enter button.
- Find Microsoft.NET Framework NGEN v4.X_Y (X=your .net framework version and Y=86 or 64, depending on the bits of the operating system) in the list, right-click and select Properties from the context menu.
- Check the service status if running, then stop it for a short while and restart again.
- Make sure the option in the Startup Type menu is set to Automatic before proceeding with any other steps. Now check if the load on the processor has decreased.
- When you click the Start button, you may receive an error message: \”Error 1079: The account specified for this service is different from the account specified for others in the same process.\”
- Now, browse to locate the login tab and click the button. Then, in the \”Enter the name of the objects to select\” field, enter the account name, click \”Check Names,\” and wait for the name to become available.
- Click on OK and enter your password if prompted to do so.
Many application developers use the NET Runtime Framework to make the application start faster. However, high CPU usage is sometimes annoying. You now know how to resolve .NET Runtime Optimization High CPU Usage using the three fixes above. Please share your experience below if you have successfully resolved this issue using our provided solutions.
Recommended Readings (Rated Recommendation)