Index: What’s covered in the article?
- Remote desktop
- Microsoft Remote Desktop
- Remote Desktop for Windows 10
- Remote desktop multiple monitors windows 10
- Remote Desktop Troubleshooting
- Final Verdict
A remote desktop connection can be established using various protocols, such as RDP (Remote Desktop Protocol), VNC (Virtual Network Computing), NX technology, or ICA (Independent Computing Architecture).
Dedicated remote desktop software exists for most platforms and operating systems, including mobile devices. Microsoft and Apple, for example, each offer a program called \”Remote Desktop.\” Other remote desktop programs include Citrix XenApp, CrossLoop, Jaadu (for iPhone and iPod Touch), GoToMyPC, PCAnywhere, and various VNC derivatives. We have compiled some great information regarding remote desktop multiple monitors’ windows 10. Just have a quick look.
Remote Desktop is an operating system (OS) functionality that allows you to administer a remote computer (virtual server) in real-time. There are a large number of remote desktop implementations, depending on the protocol and OS. The most common protocol for the Windows family is RDP (Remote Desktop Protocol), and for Linux systems, it is VNC and X11. Remote desktop connection using the appropriate protocol (RDP or VNX) and the Internet (or local area network).
Remote Desktop (Remote Desktop) – a term that indicates the control mode when one computer receives administrator rights concerning the other remote. Communication between devices takes place in real-time via the Internet or a local network.
The access level in the remote administration mode is determined by specific tasks and can be changed as needed. For example:
- Connecting to a work session allows full control and interaction with a remote computer, which allows running applications and manipulating files on it;
- Remote access to the Desktop allows only to monitor the processes without interfering with the work of its system.
Remote administration is a pre-installed function in almost every operating system known today; simultaneously, there are quite a few programs that make this process more convenient, adding new functions to the standard versions.
There are several types of remote administration:
- A computer network that allows you to control the work of the local network of an office or Internet cafe
- Terminal – a computer that simplifies communication between the user and the system, for example, payment terminals of banks;
- Computer-computer, most often used in everyday life, but easily solves serious management tasks;
- Network-to-network, an excellent tool when you need to interact between remote corporate networks.
Network administrators to identify and eliminate software or hardware failures and monitor systems as quickly as possible use this mode.
On the other hand, the development of \”cloud\” technologies that facilitate the centralized storage of huge amounts of information in remote networks and servers is in the best possible way in line with the basic principles of the regime.
Important! Remote access is a technology that is quite popular among cybercriminals for certain reasons. It will help if you are very careful about the organization of this connection.
This tool is another program built into Windows for remote access. It differs from the previous one primarily because the computer acting as a server cannot be used during connection: its screen is automatically locked until the end of the session.
However, the client can be Mac and even mobile devices. In addition, a connected user can copy files from a remote computer via a shared clipboard.
To use Remote Desktop, you need to configure the server properly. It will take you some time. However, if you do not want to understand IP addresses and network ports, you can use other programs from this article. They are much simpler.
- Server instructions
Turn on the \”Remote Desktop\” function. In Windows 10, through going in Settings → System → Remote Desktop. In older versions of the OS, this setting may be in a different location.
If another person controls the client\’s device, tell him the public IP, as well as the login and password for your Windows account.
This function allows other devices to access your computer via the Internet. The setup process on different routers is different; you can find instructions for your model on the manufacturer\’s website.
In general, terms, the actions are as follows. First, you go to a special section of the router settings and create a virtual server, registering the local IP address and port 3389 in its parameters.
Allowing access to a computer through port forwarding creates new loopholes for network attacks. So if you are afraid of intruders, think again if you should use this particular method.
- Instructions for the client
Type in the search for the system \”Remote Desktop Connection\” and run the found utility. Alternatively, press Win + R keys, enter the command
And press Enter.
In the window that opens, enter the public IP address of the computer that is the server. Then enter the login and password for his Windows account.
After that, you will have full control over the desktop of the remote computer.
The need to connect to remote work or home computers in the realities of modern life has become much more urgent than a decade ago. There are many tools for the purpose, but remote employees of small companies often resort to the RDP client built into Windows 10. At the same time, computer wizards prefer to use third-party programs such as TeamViewer, RAdmin, or AnyDesk. They also use RDP, but only for periodic access to office PCs in local networks.
- Versions of Windows 10 support RDP
Not all versions of Windows 10 support the use of this connection protocol. The protocol is available in Pro and Enterprise editions, except the Home and Single Language editions.
- Configuring RDP in Windows 10 on a local network
Well, let us get down to setting up a remote desktop in Windows 10. First, let us consider the possibility of remote control in a local network and then complicate the task by adjusting the existing settings for connecting to a remote host from an external network. First, enable Remote Desktop, as it is inactive by default in Windows 10. It is possible in properties of the system or the \”Parameters.”
- Click Win+ R, execute the command system properties remote, and in the window that opens, put the switch in the appropriate position.
- Go to \”Options \”in the System → Remote Desktop section and enable the option.
At this stage, you can also create a list of users who will receive the computer\’s right to control the computer. Follow the instructions below:
- Scrolling through the contents of the \”Remote Desktop\” tab in the Settings application, find and click the \”Select users …\” link;
- In the window that opens, click \”Add,\” and in the next window for selecting a user, enter his name and click \”Check, \”and then \”OK \”;
iii. Save the settings
- Windows 10 Remote Desktop Connection over local area network (LAN)
After completing the settings described above, you can already connect to the remote computer on the LAN. Follow the steps on the host PC:
- Launch the connection tool with the command mstsc and expand the window by clicking \”Show parameters \”;
- Type remote computer name or its IP address and username, and then click \”Connect \”;
- Enter the password of the administrator of the remote computer and click \”OK \”;
- A window will appear with a certificate verification error. Ignore it by clicking \”Yes.\”
As a result, you will be connected to the remote PC and will soon see its desktop in front of you.
- Windows 10 Remote Desktop over wide area network (WAN)
To connect to a remote host from an external network, you will need to perform many additional steps: determine your computer\’s external and internal IP addresses and perform such a procedure as forwarding port 3389 in the router. It is necessary because the remote computer is located \”behind the router\” through which we need to breakthrough. The difficulty here is that everyone\’s router models are different, so you have to dig a little to find the setting you want in your router model.
- \”Open Network and Internet settings\” by right-clicking on the connection symbol in the system tray;
- Click the properties button and in the next window, find the IPv4 address parameter. It is the IP address of your device on the local network. Please write it down.
- Determine your external IP address and write it down;
- Go to the browser at 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1 and enter the login/password of the router (by default, it is admin/admin);
- Go to the \”Configure manually\” section, switch to the \”Firewall\” tab → \”Virtual servers,\” and click the \”Add\” button ;
- In the next window, specify the connection data:
- Template – leave Custom.
- The name is arbitrary in Latin.
- The external interface – most likely, there will be only one; leave it unchanged.
- Punctured – best of all TCP.
- External and external port (Initial) – 3389.
- Internal IP – IPv4 address of the PC located behind the router; you have already written it down; see point # 2.
- External IP – the IP address obtained using external service (if the IP is dynamic, i.e., it changes frequently, and this field can be left blank. In some models of routers, it may not be present at all).
- Click the \”Change\” to save settings
The further connection procedure is similar to the LAN connection procedure described above. However, instead of the computer name, you need to enter many external IP addresses and an open port, for example, like this: 18.104.22.168:3389. Now, launch the client with the “mstsc” you already know. Next, enter the password, after which the system opens access to the remote host.
Remote desktop multiple monitors windows 10
Connecting to another computer with Remote Desktop is quite easy, as discussed above. From Windows 10 Pro, there is the “Remote Desktop Connection” program. Then enter the IP address of the desired computer and log in with the user name and password.
To establish a connection with several screens, this now also works directly from the program.
- “Show options” must be pressed first. Then go to the TAB “Display” and then click “Use all monitors for the remote session.”
- Then click on “Connect,” as always.
Your remote desktop connection will be established with multiple monitors on windows 10.
Remote Desktop Troubleshooting
If you are having trouble using Remote Desktop, you can try some of the few things below.
The most common error is a remote computer that cannot be found.
- Check to see if Remote Desktop is allowed in the firewall. Go to Control Panel -> System and Security, and in the Windows Firewall heading, click Allow an application through Windows Firewall. In the next window, under Allowed Applications and Properties, see if Remote Desktop is enabled.
- If not, click the Change Settings button; click allow another Application at the bottom and then select the Remote Desktop and Remote Support check box in the Private column. Unfortunately, Windows 10 Home users do not have these options available.
- Also, check to see if you have an antivirus built into the firewall. In this case, a private antivirus firewall may block the remote desktop.
- Check if port 3389 is open and forwarded.
- Check if you have Windows 10 Pro or Home. It may make sense, but in some cases where people have only updated their computers later to find that, they have Windows Home Edition running.
If you frequently experience interruptions or your session is delayed and slow, try lowering the screen resolution of the remote desktop you are using. To find this setting, go to the Display tab in the RDP application.
The advantage of using RDP is a higher connection speed than using third-party services, but it has much more disadvantages. RDP was originally developed for remote control on local networks, but later it was modified to connect from an external network. Therefore, it is impossible to ignore the vulnerability of the RPD protocol. However, according to Sophos reports, hacking an RPD connection is not particularly difficult for cybercriminals today and takes less than two minutes to hack.
Recommended Readings (visualrsoftware)